Thursday, December 27, 2007

Books are like balloons



"Books are like balloons.... They take me from one world to another"

Aparna Akka, gave me this bookmark, long ago when i was a kid still considering Enid Blytons and hardy boys as "big" novels that take a lot of time to read....... then, the bookmark was interesting... with this nice snoopy picture.... colourful... and I cherished it coz it came from aparna akka...

Today, it brings in a whole new meaning.... true...... books indeed take us away into a new world... a world created by its author... so wonderfully etched... where your senses actually sense what the author intends to....you go on to "experience" new situations you have never been.... like in the Riot by Shashi Tharoor,you can feel the claustrophobia, the mob feeling....as also the undulating love towards a partner, and the guilt of adultry, all or most of which you probably will never be in throughout a normal life time.

Another such book, that takes us into a whole new world, that I had the good fortune of reading, is Life of Pi, by Yann Martel.

It describes the ordeal of a teenager boy who survives a trans-pacific crossing in a lifeboat, that he has to share with a fully grown bengal tiger. Now, though I have been raised in coastal cities, for most part of my life, I dont know what it feels like to be in deep sea, till I read this book that is...... its fantastic narration of the dangers and the sights of the great ocean.... man, I almost got sea-sick.... interestingly, what I imagined to be, might nowhere be close to what it really feels like... but then, like the book said, isnt reality a transformation of what we imagine to be?

What separates a book from a movie, is that you are taken through a story at a pace that is set by the director of the movie... while the book, i can end up reading a single line for an hour, savoring every single word of the sentence, building my own perspective with what the words describe, and still go along with the pace intended.....

books, sigh..... its very difficult not to fall in love with them, once you start taking to them.....


No comments: