Monday, September 24, 2007

Encounters with the third kind

All of us would have had some sort of encounter with eunuchs... and for most, the experience wouldnt have been pleasant.... So, when Mahesh Dattani, wrote this article in The week, I felt the fellow was not making much sense.

Here is my mail to him :

Hey,

I just read your article in The Week and I found it interesting. For someone whos travelled four years between chennai and mumbai in a train, and for someone whos lived in mumbai subsequently for 2 more years, I can more than recognise the familiar tap. I am afraid of eunuchs. And I am ready to accept that. But this arguement of completeness, I am not ready to buy. Apparently, most of the articles/books/documentaries I read/saw about them, talk about how good they are as human beings and all that. Maybe true. In fact, lets accept that it is true. That eunuchs are a beautiful set of people and wonderful human beings. But for the common man walking on the road, all he needs is his amount of "free" space to carry on doing what he intends to do without a hindrance. Now, I dont know if it comes because they are ostracized, or because we fear them, but lets face it, the eunuchs do take advantage of this.

To me, as a man on the road, isnt it disgusting to see someone touching me supposedly provocatively, sexually, putting up a nauseating performance in full view of the rest of the public, just because I deny turning in my hard earned money when asked for? Dont you think its them trying to cash this disgust, more than my feeling of disgust in the first place thats pushed them towards begging?

Think about this. A handicapped person with non-working limbs, on a wheelchair has the respect/sympathy of the people in any public transport or building. If the same person resorts to begging? He still gets the money based on sympathy. Now, does that mean that the sympathy of the public has pushed him towards an easier resort to make money?No. Its just a choice and set of circumstances that drove him/her to doing it.... but the society does accept either form of it. It takes time, but I think the society would eventually start accepting these non-conventional people into the mainstream. A few hundred years back, being handicapped meant being cut off from an active earning life forever. But now, there is some ray of hope. Handicapped people do find jobs, do try and live self sufficiently.Cant the same be true with eunuchs too? Why do they have to resign themselves to their fate, and continue capitalizing the fear/disgust of more normal people?

Its this apect about them that I think most people hate. Its for this nauseating behaviour that eunuchs as a class of people put up at the drop of the hat, thats feared. I dont think its my subconsciousness acknowledgment of the fact that they are far more complete than me. If they are more complete, so be it. So what? Does that make any difference to way I lead my life or the way they lead theirs? At the end of the day, no matter how social an animal a man is, isnt he driven by whether his needs are taken care of or not? In more civilised societies of today, I am sure they would be accepted too. All it takes for them would be to adhere to the simple norms of the society. Is that difficult?

Kaushik Lakkaraju


And he responded:


dear Kaushik
thank you for your well thought out rationale on why people hate eunuchs. I am in no way condoning the hostility or attention grabbing tactics of the eunuchs. Consider this, if you had no access to public transport, government hospitals, cemeteries etc. If people looked at you with disgust simply because of your appearance, how civilised or polite would you be? I know a lot of people including the government who would give jobs to handicapped people but do you know of anyone who would give a job to a eunuch?
I appreciate the eunuchs because they do not want our sympathy. How easy it would be for them to play the victim and live off the few rupees that buy us our 'feel good' moments. I too have had unpleasant experiences with eunuchs (jsut as I have had unpleasant experiences with some men, women, Hindus, christians etc) but when I am polite and look them in the eye and request them to leave me alone, they have been very obliging.
Anyway, I really appreciate your response. I like the closure. Yes, in more civilised societies they would be accepted. I would like to change the last line a bit and say 'All it takes for US is to adhere to simple norms of society. Is that difficult?"
warm regards, and may you have many hassle free train journeys!

Mahesh



5 comments:

Tejo Karthik said...

Mahesh's article, your mail and his response all of the three are quite thought provoking ones. All this reminded me of my train journeys from Hyderabad to Delhi, and how we always tried escaping the 'hassle' either by getting into the toilet or sitting by the window or get ready with a Rs.10 note to give them as soon as they come. It is true that a common man wishes to go on the road without any disturbance. But when these people have no other option to earn what would they do other than begging(or should I call it begging-on-demand!!)?
But one thought that tickled me was eve-teasing that we see everyday in almost every bus-stop where male harasses female or ragging where you see male-male or female-female harassment. I know these are crimes, but still we find them in the newspapers everyday!
So don't you think this can be regarded as one more such kind of act to irritate or test the patience of people(or victims)?

Kaushik said...

Hey Tejo,

What I was trying to say was, when you say "when these people have no option" how can you be sure on that? I mean, only if they try long enuf, are they going to be started accepting in the mainstream... instead if they resort to begging-on-demand, as you call it, then thats how its going to be forever....


As for eve-teasing, I agree its bad,but the point is, when you see a male, eve teasing dosent immediately come to your mind.... because not every male resorts to eve-teasing.....but if you see a eunuch, the first thought that comes to ur mind is about ur train experience..... why? because thats what the vast majority is upto?

I agree ragging, eve teasing is irritating.....but as you see, if we are groomed properly, we dont indulge in such activities.....so simply, its a matter of time and education, before these incidents can be narrowed down?

Tejo Karthik said...

Yeah Sirish, I got your point.

"only if they try long enuf, are they going to be started accepting in the mainstream"
How long? Is the society ready to accept, when it has such an opinion on them?

Me as a part of the society always looked down upon them, sometimes even worse than dogs! But frankly, Mahesh's article did make me think. May be the fear doesn't fade away but I feel I would not think as I was thinking before!

Suresh said...

as usual a nice blog.. quite thought provoking this time too..

but do you also know that people consider being touched by a eunuch as a sign of luck.. in fact most eunuchs in chennai local trains touch you.. claim that u are "lucky" from that moment on .. and request money for the "favor".. something to think about.. huh ?

Anonymous said...

You write very well.